Popular posts from this blog
Journaling
My first journal entry was written a few days after my eight-year-old birthday. My second was a year later when I rewrote that first entry in my much more impressive nine-year-old handwriting. From the beginning, even at eight years old, writing was how I got to know myself better. When my oldest children were teens, I thought it would be fun to share with them parts of my journal so they could see what was on my mind at their age. They were lazing in our family room when I brought out the letter-sized white binder with a worn leather cover that I'd written sporadic entries from ages eight to eighteen. I read to them my eight year old birthday entry and then a rushed but enthusiastic paragraph I'd written just after doing a a double-flip on the trampoline at age ten. (We were trampoline pros!) Then we turned page after page of entries that were either angry, angsty or a long list of childhood crushes. My children were as embarrassed for me as I was. Clearly, not everything is ...
Friday: Writing & Publishing Q & A
Friday Q & A on writing and publishing! How do you handle writer’s block? Skip the scene that’s holding you back and start somewhere completely new—a much, much later part of your story. Don’t worry about what happens during or after the scene that’s stumping you and write something completely different. I pants’d my novel for this very reason. I was stuck for days (months?) with what happened the day after the accident. So I moved forward to what I did know. Jake and his mom were bugged by each other and what did that look like. That’s something I could envision and I started writing those scenes instead. How did you design the cover for The Things They Didn’t See ? I worked with Damonza, a company that specializes in quality covers for self-published books. They’d made some mock-ups with wind chimes, a lake, mountains, etc. We’d had a little back and forth, but then I saw an Instagram post about a local artist showing in an upcoming show near me. The painting was a car drivi...

Comments
Post a Comment